Monday, October 24, 2011

Parmesan Polenta and Spicy Sausage Sauce

Archived from May 15th, 2011 from the old "Out of the Fryin' Pan and into the Fire" 

So, in an effort to keep up with my food blogging (which that's what seems to be consuming my time at the moment-making food, since I have no life at all, socially or otherwise), I've discovered another great find from my
 Cooking Light magazine from last month. My newest addition just arrived, and they sent me a renewal subscription for $10 for the year. I'm still contemplating whether or not I will renew, but I've had much success with many of their recipes in recent months.

Here's the latest from my kitchen. It was so good, I made two batches within two weeks (I had leftover sausage and polenta to use). :) I had never heard of or used polenta, and I've been quite pleased with it thus far. It is a particular type of corn grits; you can find it in the health food aisle of your local grocery store.

Sauce
1 Tbsp. olive oil
3 ounces (2 links) turkey sausage, sliced in small pieces (recipe called for chicken, but the store only had turkey)
1 cup chopped onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes (I bought the stewed tomatoes with oregano and basil flavor, then cut the tomatoes with a scissors)

Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan, swirling to coat. Add sausage; saute for 3 minutes or until browned. Add onion; saute for 5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and saute 30 seconds. Add oregano, pepper, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 1/4 c. basil to pan and cook 5 minutes or until sauce thickens.

Polenta
2 c. low sodium chicken broth
1 c. water
3/4 c. quick-cooking polenta

Combine broth and water in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Add polenta; reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently with a whisk so it doesn't stick to bottom of the pan. Stir in 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese to polenta. Both the chicken broth and the cheese give the polenta a nice flavor and texture/consistency.

Garnish
1/2 c. chopped fresh basil
1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese

When serving, place 2/3 c. polenta in each of four bowls; top with about 3/4 c. of the sauce. Top each bowl with 1 Tbsp. basil and 1 Tbsp. cheese. Makes 4 servings.

Calories: 279
Fat: 8.3 g
Protein: 12.6 g
Fiber: 5.3 g
Sodium: 524 mg

This is a fantastic dish, which only took me about 30-40 minutes tops to make! It's very easy, healthy, and simply delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment