This recipe, of course, was found in my January issue of Cooking Light. I've made some subtle changes; there were no sweet Italian sausage turkey links, so I substituted a pound of ground turkey; the guy behind the meat counter at Hy-Vee gave me an Italian seasoning spice mix FOR FREE because he had run out of the turkey sausage links. :)
So without further ado, here is the recipe.
Sausage Ragu over Creamy Polenta
1 lb. ground turkey
4 Tbsp. Italian seasoning spice mix
1 cup finely chopped onion
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 cups marinara sauce (I got an Italian-flavored
jar of Prego sauce)
2 1/3 cups water, divided
1 cup skim milk
3/4 cup instant polenta
4 Tbsp. Romano Parmesan cheese, grated
1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
4 Tbsp. fresh chopped parsley
1. Mix ground turkey and Italian seasoning spice by hand in medium bowl until evenly mixed.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage; sautee for 6 minutes or until browned. (There
will not be much fat at all, so no need to remove the fat as it will help flavor the onion and garlic.)
3. Add onion and garlic to cooked sausage for 1-2 minutes.
4. Stir in marinara sauce and 1/3 cup water; bring to a boil.
5. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
6. Bring remaining 2 cups water and milk to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Reduce heat to
7. Gradually add polenta, and cook for 3 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
8. Serve sausage mixture over polenta and sprinkle parsley for garnish as well as 1 Tbsp. of grated cheese
for each serving.
SUPER DELICIOUS and EASY TO MAKE! :) ENJOY!
Serves 4; serving size: 3/4 cup polenta, 1/2 cup sausage mixture, 1 Tbsp. parsley
Fat: 14 grams
Protein: 17.2 grams
Carbs: 50.8 grams
Fiber: 3.7 grams